For the Crust:
- 200 g all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 65 g confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 113 g butter, cubed and cold or frozen
- 30 ml cold heavy cream
- 1 large egg, whisked
For the Fruit and Cream Filling:
- 4 Florida Grapefruit, peeled with pith removed, sectioned (2 tbsp. Grapefruit juice reserved)
- 227 g mascarpone cheese
- 33 g confectioner’s sugar
- 40 g finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp. demerara sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 9 to 10-inch round tart pan (1 inch deep) with removable bottom
- Pie weights or dried beans
1. Place the flour, sugar and salt for the crust into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine.
2. Scatter butter over the surface of the flour and pulse 10 to 15 times or until the flour is crumbly and cornmeal-like in texture.
3. Whisk together cream and egg and add to the bowl of the food processor. Pulse 5 to 6 times or until the dough comes together and forms a ball.
4. Remove the dough, shape into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2 hours and up to 1 day.
5. After setting in the fridge, roll out the dough on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper into a 12-inch circle.
6. Transfer to a 9-inch tart pan and press into the bottom and sides of the pan.
7. Lightly prick the bottom and sides of the dough all over with the tines of a fork. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
8. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line the tart crust with the parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 25 minutes or until sides are firm and set.
9. Carefully remove the weights and parchment and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until crust is lightly golden in color. Set aside to cool completely.
10. After reserving the 2 tablespoons of juice, place the Grapefruit sections into a strainer and set aside.
11. Place the mascarpone cheese into a medium mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of juice, sugar, ginger, cardamom, salt and whisk until well-combined.
12. Evenly spread the mascarpone filling onto the bottom of the tart crust.
13. Arrange the Grapefruit segments on top of the filling in concentric circles, starting on the outside edge and slightly overlapping.
14. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and serve or refrigerate immediately.