- 2 large pink Florida Grapefruit
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large eggs whites
- 4 large scoops vanilla ice cream (about 1 pint)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Halve grapefruits crosswise with a grapefruit knife and cut out sections from between membranes. Transfer sections and any juices to a large bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons sugar. Gently peel away and discard inner membranes from grapefruit halves, leaving rinds intact, to form 4 hollow, dry cups. Divide grapefruit mixture among cups.
2. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat egg whites on low speed until frothy. Increase speed to medium and beat until whites just hold soft peaks. Gradually beat in remaining 4 tablespoons sugar and beat on high speed until meringue is stiff and glossy.
3. Put 1 scoop ice cream in each cup and top with meringue, spreading evenly to seal edges. Put cups on a baking sheet and bake in middle of oven 8 to 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden. Serve immediately.