- 2 (4-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus spears
- 1 whole pink grapefruit
- 1 cup pink grapefruit juice
- 1 cup nonfat low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon prepared Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Thyme sprigs or chopped Italian parsley for garnish
1. Peel grapefruit and remove segments. Set aside.
2. For the sauce, heat the oil in a non-stick sauté pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat for about five minutes, or until the onions are softened, but not browned. Add grapefruit juice, broth, ground mustard and thyme. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer until the sauce has reduced by half. Do not overcook or sauce may turn bitter. Remove from heat and carefully transfer sauce to a blender or food processor. Add prepared mustard and blend or process until smooth and return sauce to pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
3. Grill chicken and asparagus over hot coals until just cooked through. Arrange the chicken, asparagus and grapefruit segments on two warmed dinner plates. Pour the sauce over. Garnish with thyme sprigs or parsley. Serve with wild rice or whole wheat couscous.