- 1 cup 100% Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 1 cup (8 ounces) nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup sliced almonds or flax seeds
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Canola oil
Cranberry Grapefruit Compote:
- ¼ cup 100% Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen whole cranberries
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups water, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 fresh Florida Grapefruit, peeled, segmented and diced
Dissolve cornstarch in ½ cup water; pour into a non-reactive saucepan and add 1 ½ cups water, stirring to combine. Add cranberries, sugar, grapefruit juice, grapefruit zest and vanilla; stir to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is very thick and liquid is clear. Remove from heat and stir in grapefruit segments.
In a large bowl, combine grapefruit juice, yogurt, almonds, eggs and honey; set aside. Sift or stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Using a large spoon, gently stir flour mixture into grapefruit juice mixture just until combined, being careful not to over mix. Brush waffle maker* with oil and cook waffles according to waffle maker’s directions, using about ½ cup batter per waffle. Brush waffle maker with oil before each batch of waffles. Serving immediately topped with Cranberry Grapefruit Compote.
Note: A Belgian waffle maker is recommended.