- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 2 lbs. pork shoulder, cut into medium sized pieces
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 Florida Grapefruit, zested and segmented
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|30 minutes||3 hours30 minutes||4 hours|
Combine onion slices with Florida Grapefruit Juice, segments, zest, habaneros and salt, in a metal bowl, cover and refrigerate.
Coat pork with salt and cumin in a large bowl.
In a Dutch oven, heat oil until wisps of smoke are visible.
Brown pork in batches, then return to pot and add Florida Grapefruit Juice, garlic, and thyme.
Cook over low heat (barely simmering) for 3 ½ hours covered, until meat is tender.
When slightly cooled, remove meat from liquid and shred on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Skim off several tbsps. of oil from the liquid and drizzle over shredded meat.
Bake at 425 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes, until browned, turning occasionally while cooking.
Serve on warmed tortillas topped with onions.