Florida Grapefruit Slaw Ingredients:
- 1 Florida Grapefruit, peeled, segmented and chopped
- 1 cup grated daikon radish
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped plus extra leaves for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of half a lime
- ½ cup flour 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ¼ cup soda water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 8 medium raw tiger shrimp, washed and peeled
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 dill pickles, sliced
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. garlic chili sauce
- 2 fresh sausage buns
In a medium sized bowl combine Florida Grapefruit slaw ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour panko crumbs into a small bowl and set aside. In another small bowl stir together mayonnaise and chili sauce and set aside.
In a small sauce pan heat oil to 375°F.
In a medium sized bowl whisk together batter ingredients until combined. Working in batches, dip shrimp in batter then panko crumbs; fry shrimp until golden brown, approximately 4-6 minutes. Remove shrimp and set on a plate with paper towel.
Spread the inside of each bun with chili mayo, top with Florida Grapefruit slaw, cooked shrimp and pickles. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with reserved lime wedges.
*Toast bun if desired