- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (optional)
- 1 pound ground chicken, turkey or pork
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 Florida Grapefruit
1. In large bowl, whisk together garlic, egg, soy sauce, cornstarch, ginger and five-spice powder (if using). Mix in ground meat and onion until combined. Divide into sixteen equal portions; form each into ball about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; brown meatballs all over. Drain off any fat; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in large saucepan, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in grapefruit juice, vinegar, soy sauce and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat just until mixture begins to boil and thicken. Add meatballs to sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 35 minutes. Gently stir in red pepper. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut rind and pith from grapefruits. Use a small, sharp knife to cut sections away from membrane. Stir gently into sauce; let heat through for 1 minute.
For a buffet appetizer, make the meatballs half the size and serve in a chafing dish.
This recipe is easily doubled, and can be made up to 2 days ahead. Reheat over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.