October 26, 2016 by Newsroom Editor
Word Game Themed Ornaments
Looking for a fun way to engage the kids this holiday season? Try creating your own ornaments using extra word game tiles you have in the house (see the video here). Bonus – kids can practice their spelling while creating a fun craft to show off on your family tree year after year.
What you’ll need:
- Word game tiles that spell your favorite holiday saying
- Snow texture paint
- Paper plate
- White craft glue
- Fine paint brush to apply snow texture paint
- Heavy object for pressing (try a large book)
- Collect word game tiles that spell out your favorite holiday saying such as “let it snow”, “happy holidays” or “jingle bells.”
- Trace tiles onto the paper plate (just make a rough outline of the shape of your letters).
- Cut the shape out, cutting it smaller than the actual outline by cutting inside the lines by about ¼ inch. You want the shape to be large enough to glue the letters to, but small enough that they don’t overlap or show from the front.
- Apply glue all over the template then press the letters in place.
- Place something heavy on top of letters (try a large book) and let them dry for 2-3 hours.
- Apply snow texture paint to the top edges of the letters to make it look like freshly fallen snow. Use a paintbrush or finger to apply. Let the snow texture to dry for at least an hour.
- Cut a piece of ribbon and fold into a loop.
- Glue the ribbon loop to the back of the ornament to serve as a hanger.
- Cut a piece of felt the same shape as the ornament and glue it to the back, covering the hanger.
- Make multiple holiday sayings and share with your family and friends as fun gifts.