For Belgian Waffles:
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1 (¼-oz.) package active dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp.)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. Florida Orange zest
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
For Florida Orange Caramel Sauce:
- ⅓ cup Florida Orange Juice
- ½ tsp. Florida Orange zest
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ gallon caramel ice cream
- ½ cup peanuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
To prepare Belgian Waffles:
1. Heat ¼ cup of milk to 110° F in the microwave. Check milk temperature with thermometer and cool milk to 110° F if necessary – higher temperature will kill the yeast.
2. Add yeast to milk, stir and set aside for 5 minutes until foamy.
3. Whisk together egg yolks, milk-yeast mixture and melted butter in a large mixing bowl, then whisk in sugar, salt, vanilla and orange zest.
4. Gradually add flour and remaining milk, stirring constantly until just combined. Mixture should be slightly lumpy.
5. Beat egg whites to a soft peak, then fold egg whites into waffle batter. Cover waffle batter with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
To prepare Florida Orange Caramel Sauce:
1. Combine sugar and light corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook until mixture turns into golden caramel, watching carefully so the mixture does not burn.
2. Remove from heat and stir in Florida Orange Juice.
3. Return to heat and cook until mixture is smooth, then add heavy cream, melted butter and orange zest. Cook until smooth, reserve and keep warm.
To cook Belgian Waffles:
1. Preheat oven to 200° F, and preheat waffle iron. Stir waffle batter to deflate air bubbles.
2. Pour about ½ cup batter onto waffle iron, spreading batter over surface of waffle iron. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions until golden brown.
3. Place cooked waffles in a single layer on a baking sheet in oven while cooking remaining batter.
To assemble Ice Cream Sandwiches:
1. Cut waffles in half and drizzle both halves of waffle with Florida Orange Caramel Sauce.
2. Place a large scoop of caramel ice cream on top of one waffle half, then sprinkle with chopped peanuts and a pinch of sea salt.
3. Place the other waffle half on top of sandwich and serve immediately.
Note: Florida Orange Caramel Sauce can be prepared ahead. Refrigerate sauce and reheat before assembling Belgian Waffle Sandwiches.