For Duck Pâté:*
- ¼ cup Florida Orange Juice
- 1 lb. duck liver (or chicken liver)
- 1 cup milk
- 8 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 cup diced shallots
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
*Can substitute prepared duck or liver pâté.
For Roasted Duck Leg:
- 1 tbsp. Florida Orange zest
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 tbsp. thyme
- 2 tsp. coriander
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 duck legs
For Spiced Pickled Florida Orange:
- 6 (¼-inch thick) Florida Orange slices
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. cloves
For Duck Breasts:
- 2 duck breasts
- 1 tbsp. Chinese five-spice powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 baguettes
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- ½ cup sliced hot chiles
- ½ cup small cilantro leaves
- ½ cup small basil leaves
- ½ cup small mint leaves
To Prepare Duck Pâté:
1. Place duck liver in a shallow dish with milk. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Drain duck liver, discard milk and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add duck liver, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper.
4. Cook until liver is cooked through, but still slightly pink on the inside.
5. Add Florida Orange Juice and continue cooking until liquid has evaporated, then remove from heat and cool. Remove bay leaves.
6. Purée liver mixture in a food processor until smooth. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and adjust seasoning if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours.
To Prepare Roasted Duck Leg:
1. Place salt, Florida Orange zest, thyme, coriander, cinnamon, pepper and bay leaf in a spice grinder and grind into a coarse mixture.
2. Rub duck legs on all sides with spice mixture. Roast duck legs in a 300° F oven for about 2 ½ hours or until thoroughly cooked. Meat should fall off the bone. Cool meat, shred with two forks and set aside.
To Prepare Spiced Pickled Florida Orange:
1. Place Florida Orange slices in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, then drain water. Add sugar, vinegar, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and cloves.
2. Cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes, until oranges turn translucent.
3. Remove from heat, cool and set aside.
To Prepare Duck Breasts:
1. Season duck breasts with Chinese five-spice powder, salt and pepper. Sear duck breasts in a skillet skin-side down until skin becomes brown and crispy. Turn dusk breasts over and cook until medium rare. Remove from heat, cool and carve into thin slices.
To Assemble Banh Mi Sandwiches:
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Split baguettes and toast lightly. Spread top half of baguettes with Duck Pâté, spread bottom half of baguettes with mayonnaise.
3. Layer sliced duck breast on bottom of baguettes. Top with shredded roasted duck leg meat, Spiced Pickled Florida Oranges, and sliced cucumbers.
4. Sprinkle with chiles, cilantro, basil and mint. Place baguette tops over sandwiches and serve immediately.