- 1 cup Florida Orange Juice
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups water
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- ½ cup Anson Mills Blue Corn Grits, medium grind
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- 4 whole farmed North Carolina trout
1. In a small saucepan, combine half of the Florida Orange Juice and the shallots. Reduce by half and set aside.
2. In a 4-quart pot, add the milk, water and 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. As soon as the liquid is boiling, add the grits, reduce heat to low and whisk.
3. Cook grits on very low heat until done, stirring every few minutes, approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Mix in the crème fraîche and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
4. In a small pot, add the sugar and ½ cup of water. Bring to a boil and reduce over medium heat until the sugar caramelizes. Add the remaining Florida Orange Juice and toasted almonds, then remove from heat and keep warm.
5. Preheat a grill to high.
6. Season the whole trout. Lay fish on the grill, flesh side down. After 1 minute of cooking, turn the trout to create a diamond pattern on the fish.
7. Flip the trout onto the skin side and brush the flesh with the Shallot Florida Orange Juice reduction.
8. Lay equal amounts of the grits in the center of each plate. Place one trout skin-side-down over the grits, brush one more time with the Shallot Florida Orange Juice reduction, and crumble the candied almonds around the fish. Serve immediately.