See our video on How to segment Florida citrus.
- ¼ cup Florida Orange Juice
- ½ cup Florida Grapefruit juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined (leave the tail sections intact)
- 4 Florida Oranges
- 4 Florida Grapefruit
- 5 cups washed, stemmed spinach leaves or mesclun
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a mortar and pestle or blender and puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste – the mixture should be highly seasoned.
2. Combine the shrimp and ⅔ of the marinade in a bowl and stir to mix. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate the shrimp for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Segment the Florida Oranges and the Florida Grapefruit. (Video linked at top of page)
4. Arrange the Florida Orange and Florida Grapefruit segments around the outside edge of a platter or 4 salad plates, alternating Florida Orange and Florida Grapefruit segments. Mound the spinach or mesclun in the center.
5. Preheat the barbecue grill or broiler to high. Grill or broil the shrimp until cooked, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
6. Arrange the shrimp on top of the salad and spoon the reserved marinade over the greens, Florida Orange and Grapefruit segments, and shrimp.