- 1 quart Florida Orange Juice
- 4 cups Florida Orange sections
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 8 eggs
- Fresh berries, as needed
- Toasted sliced almonds, as needed
1. In a saucepan, combine the lemon juice, water and 2 cups of sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer until the liquid becomes a very pale amber color. Remove the pan from the heat and distribute the caramel evenly among 12 7-ounce ramekins (2 tablespoons in each); allow to harden at room temperature.
2. To prepare the custard, cream the cheese, add the vanilla, honey and remaining sugar; blend. Add the eggs one at a time, blend and then incorporate the Florida orange juice slowly (to prevent lumps from forming). Distribute the custard equally among the 12 ramekins (5 ounces of liquid in each). Place all into a bain marie(s) with ½-inch of hot water and bake at 325° F for one hour and 10 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center of the custard comes out clean.
3. Remove the ramekins from the oven and cool on a rack. When room temperature, place in refrigerator. Chill until firm.
4. To serve, run a knife along the inside edge of the ramekin, invert plate over the ramekin, invert both the plate and ramekin and remove the ramekin. Garnish each flan with fresh berries, toasted almonds and 1/3 cup of Florida Orange Sections.