- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes, shredded
- 1 ½ cups Florida Grapefruit Juice
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup toasted coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp. dry roasted pistachio nuts, chopped
- Florida Grapefruit slices (optional)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease a long rectangular tart pan (or a 9-inch round tart pan) and set aside.
3. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until combined.
4. Drizzle the melted butter over the mixture and pulse until combined and mixtures looks like wet sand. Mix in the coconut flakes.
5. Transfer crust mixture into the tart pan and press crust into the bottom. Bake the crust until set, about 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer pan to a rack and let cool completely.
6. In a medium saucepan set on medium heat, combine the sugar with the cornstarch and add in the Florida Grapefruit Juice. Cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly.
7. Gradually whisk in half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks to temper the eggs.
8. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
9. Remove the mixture from the heat and add in the butter pieces. Whisk until melted.
10. Pour the mixture into the cooled crust and smooth the top with a spatula.
11. Cover with plastic wrap pressed against the top of the tart and chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight until set.
12. Top with coconut flakes, pistachios, and optional Florida Grapefruit slices. Serve chilled.
Helpful Tip: For a dairy-free recipe, try using a dairy-free butter.