As Inspector General for the Florida Department of Citrus, Kevin Eaton is responsible for all audits, investigations and management reviews relating to programs and operations. The position reports directly to the Chairman of the Florida Citrus Commission and the Executive Director of the Department of Citrus.
Eaton retired from the Federal Bureau of Investigation where he was the Assistant Special Agent in Charge of the Tampa Field Office. Eaton served with the FBI for 26 years, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for three years and as an internal auditor for Ashland Oil, Inc. for one year.
He graduated from Marshall University with a Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting degree in 1985.
Under the authority of the Florida Citrus Commission, and in accordance with Section 20.055 Florida Statutes, the responsibilities of the Inspector General’s office are to:
- Direct and coordinate audits, investigations and management reviews, both internal and external
- Promote economy and efficiency
- Prevent and/or detect fraud, waste, and abuse
- Advise in the development of performance measures and assess the reliability and validity of information provided by Department on performance measures and standards
- Develop an annual audit plan based on a risk assessment conducted with management and Citrus Commission input