- 1/2 cup Florida Grapefruit Juice
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 8 cups cubed challah bread (about 8 thick slices)
- 1/2 cup spreadable cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated Florida Grapefruit rind
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 Florida grapefruit
- 2 Florida oranges
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Maple syrup
- Icing sugar
1. To prepare casserole, place bread in greased 11 x 7-inch (2.5L) baking dish. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until softened. Beat in milk in steady drizzle, then grapefruit juice. Whisk in eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and salt until combined. Pour over bread, pressing down to soak bread evenly. Sprinkle brown sugar and drizzle maple syrup over top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. Meanwhile, to prepare salsa, grate rind from grapefruit and oranges. Cut peel and pith from grapefruit and oranges. With small sharp knife, cut grapefruit and orange sections away from membrane; cut each section in half crosswise. Place in serving bowl; sprinkle with grapefruit and orange rinds, brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon (if using). Refrigerate for up to 1 hour. Stir together gently just before serving.
3. Bake casserole in center of 350 degree oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and liquid is completely set. Let stand on rack 5 minutes. Serve with salsa, additional maple syrup and a sprinkle of icing sugar.