- ¼ cup Florida Orange Juice
- 2 cups shredded bran cereal
- ¾ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. dark molasses
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. Florida Orange zest
- 1 large egg (egg substitute optional)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
1. Heat oven to 400° F.
2. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
3. In a large bowl, combine bran cereal, water and oil, stirring until bran softens.
4. In a small bowl, whisk Florida Orange Juice, buttermilk, molasses, honey, Florida Orange zest, and egg until blended.
5. In a small bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt.
6. Add buttermilk mixture to bran, stirring to combine.
7. Add flour mixture, dates and walnuts to bran mixture, stirring just until flour is moistened.
8. Spoon into muffin cups and bake until top springs back when lightly pressed, about 18 minutes.
9. Let cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.