For Spice Sachet:
- 3 star anise pods
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. fennel
- Butcher twine
For Beef Broth:*
- ¼ cup Florida Orange Juice
- 5 lbs. beef bones
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ cup carrot, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup celery, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup red apple, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce**
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. hot bean paste (or sriracha sauce)**
- 8 oz. rice noodles, flat
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- ¾ cup enoki mushrooms
- 12 oz. cooked beef flank steak, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, small leaves
- ½ cup fresh basil, small leaves
- ½ cup fresh mint, small leaves
- 1 Florida Orange, cut into 6 thin slices
*Can substitute 4 cups prepared beef broth.
**Available at Asian markets or specialty stores.
Prepare Spice Sachet:
1. Combine spices in a medium skillet and toast gently over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat when spices become fragrant.
2. Place spices in the center of a square of cheesecloth. Fold cheesecloth into a sachet and secure with butcher twine. Set aside.
Prepare Beef Broth:
1. Place beef bones in a large stockpot and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Remove from heat, drain and discard water, and return bones to stockpot.
3. Cover bones with 1 gallon of fresh cold water and bring to a low simmer.
4. Skim the surface of water with a ladle to remove and discard fat. Continue to simmer for 1 ½ hours.
5. After 1 hour, season beef stew meat with salt and pepper. Brown meat in a large skillet over high heat, then remove meat and set aside.
6. Brown onions, carrots, celery, apple and ginger in a skillet until medium brown, then remove from heat and set aside.
7. Add browned stew meat to the stockpot and simmer for ½ hour. Add browned vegetables and Spice Sachet and simmer for an additional hour.
8. Strain broth into a medium sauce pan. Remove and reserve stew meat and discard bones, vegetables and Spice Sachet.
9. Add Florida Orange Juice, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and bean paste to beef broth. Season with salt and pepper and keep hot.
10. Shred cooked, reserved stew meat into small pieces and set aside.
11. Cook rice noodles in boiling water for 1 minute or until tender. Drain and run under cold water until cool.
12. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook carrot strips for about 1 minute, or until tender. Plunge into a bowl of ice water, drain and set aside. Repeat process with cabbage.
13. To assemble, divide rice noodles, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, sliced flank steak, shredded stew meat, cilantro, basil, mint and Florida Orange slices among 6 soup bowls. Ladle hot broth into bowls and serve immediately.