- 2 pounds fava beans
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups panko Japanese breadcrumbs
For Florida Orange Cilantro Tahini Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Florida Orange Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Florida Orange Zest
- 1/2 cup tahini*
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 6 pita bread
- 1/2 cup cabbage, cut into fine julienne
- 1/2 cup cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
*Sesame seed paste available at Middle Eastern supermarkets or specialty stores.
1. To prepare falafel: Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook fava beans in boiling water for about 10 seconds, then plunge into ice bath (large bowl of cold water filled with ice cubes). Cool fava beans completely; drain and remove fava beans from pods. Discard pods.
2. Combine fava beans, onion, parsley, green pepper, green onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño pepper, and cumin in food processor. Cover and process until coarse paste forms. Scrape down the sides of the bowl halfway through processing. Place falafel paste in bowl; cover and refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. To prepare Florida Orange Cilantro Tahini Sauce; Combine all ingredients in blender; cover and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper; reserve.
4. Form falafel paste into 1-1/2-ounce patties; coat with breadcrumbs.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté falafel patties on both sides until golden brown and crisp; remove patties to plate lined with paper towels to absorb extra oil. Repeat with remaining falafel paste.
6. To assemble, warm pita bread in oven. Cut pitas in half and split open. Place a small amount of cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in center of each pita. Top with 3 to 4 falafel patties and drizzle with Florida Orange Cilantro Tahini Sauce; serve immediately.